Thursday, July 27, 2006

so... the trip

Trips back to calcutta are always weird. It's like passing from one life into another in a way. Because Perth is my home. It's my life. But in a way calcutta is my life too. And it's most definitely my home. It's a weird feeling. Not the way most expatriate students feel I reckon. Because when you are just a student in a different place that other place is not REALLY your home. Calcutta is still your home. But for me it's different.
I can't quite explain it. I guess it's the time also. But it just feels bizarre. The first night, the next morning. I just walk around my house touching things, opening drawers to see if things are still there. I walk into a room and somehow still instinctively flick the correct switches, still straight away find a book I have been looking for.

It's like batman entering the bat cave.

The acclimatisation is also funny. As soon as I land the sweat hits me. The sticky, itchy humidity. My travelling shirt (a disgusting brown thing with pockets in the front for secure storage of passport and full sleeves for protection from unpredicatable air conditioning) sticks to my skin, drenched instantly. The throat dries up... I cough up tar. I realise I am using more english words than bengali. That too with a slightly funny accent.

But all that changes. Pretty soon it doesn't feel so hot. Auto rides seem natural. I start using bengali words again.

I am home.

In many ways this was a spectacular trip. Met with tons of people. Quite a few people I had never met before. Bloggers and such. Living away from the family circus for a change was spectacular. I need to do this more often.

Crap... I am going to miss calcutta


> 3 comments
8:52 PM

profile

My Photo
Name:
Location: Perth, WA, Australia


Poison Bay

A very graphic novel

blogroll

radio

previous posts



archives

February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006



Search the Web at eWoss.com